Drive for Dads - June 2013
Drive for Dads this Father’s Day
Celebrities, golf pros, golf clubs and Titleist #1 ball in golf join Breakthrough Cancer Research in their drive to fundraise for research into cancers affecting men in 2013
Last year Fathers and golfers Michael Flatley, Padraig Harrington, Paul McGinley and Shane Lowry helped tee off our charity campaign called ‘Drive for Dads’ for Breakthrough Cancer Research. The campaign ran for a week from Father’s Day to raise money for research into new treatments for the leading cancers affecting men in Ireland and over 40 clubs participated.
‘Drive for Dads’ will once again see participating golf courses and clubs throughout Ireland add €2 to members and non-members green fees, as well as members competitions, open weeks etc during the week (16-23 June), and many also hosting coffee mornings and charity bunkers in a drive to support cancer research into new treatments for fathers, brothers, sons, grandfathers, uncles, and friends affected by cancer in Ireland. There will also be change boxes at their Pro Shops, cash registers, changing rooms, and in club houses, and many tring to do something extra special, by donating proceeds from their Captain's Prize competitions to raise a little extra!
DRIVE FOR DADS FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A YEARS SUPPLY OF TITLEIST GOLF BALLS
We have once again teamed up with Titleist, #1 ball in golf to give the chance to win 1 of 5 prizes of a years supply of the best Titleist golf ball for your game . Once the most appropriate golf ball model is determined by the winners using the online Titleist Golf Ball Fitting Selection Tool*, each winner will receive a years supply of their chosen golf ball model.
*Please visit www.Titleist.co.uk to find out more
Titleist prize winners 2012:
1. Damien White, Greenore Golf Club, Greenore, County Louth
2. Ray O'Rahilly, Fota Island Resort, Fota Island, Cork.
3. Tom Delaney, Dromoland Golf & Country Club, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare
4. Tony Murray, Lee Valley Golf Club, Ovens, Cork
5. John Murphy, Newbridge Golf Club, Co. Kildare
The campaign is simple and as each golfer donates their €2 to the campaign they simply fill out the entry form available at their golf club to be entered into a draw to one one of these fantastic prizes. As an extra incentive Titleist will again award a golfer from the golf club which raises the highest total with a custom fitted brand new 913 Titleist driver to acknowledge their support of Breakthrough Cancer Research during the campaign.
Vincent Drinan was selected as the winner of this fantastic prize in 2012 at a special prize giving ceremony at Lee Valley Golf Cub after one of their other fundraising events. Vincent, pictured below with Mark O'Mahony from Titleist, was then treated to an hour long fitting session at the Titleist National Fitting Centre in the GUI's National Academy in Carton House before being presented with this fantastic prize. We are delighted that Titleist have once again support the campaign and we hope that golf clubs all over Ireland will once again recognise this easy way to help raise funds for a fantastic cause while at the same time offering their golfers the chance of winning some amazing prizes. As well as the main Titleist prizes we also have a selection of other green fees which will be raffled off to other runners up.
All monies raised will specifically go towards research into lung, testicular, prostate, and stomach cancers. Currently Ireland has the highest statistics of prostate cancer in Europe with the disease affecting one in every 13 men in the country, with over 90% of those diagnosed with testicular cancer are younger than 50, and with lung cancer is the cause of 20% of all cancer deaths in Ireland. Breakthrough Cancer Research is currently working to fund research that will reduce these startling statistics.
Commenting on the appeal, celebrity ambassador Michael Flatley said, “As a proud father, golfing fanatic and supporter of Breakthrough Cancer Research, I cannot think of a better gift a dad could receive on Father’s Day than the opportunity to help save the lives of men throughout Ireland in their fight against cancer on the golf course. I’ll most certainly be joining the ‘Drive for Dads’ this Father’s Day.”
Also commenting on the campaign last year was Irish golf professional and 3-time Major Champion, Padraig Harrington who said, “As a father of two boys and having lost my own father to cancer, I am perhaps more aware of how cancer can effect men than others. Us men are notorious for not taking the correct, if any, action when it comes to our health. I am delighted to see the ‘Drive for Dads’ initiative making moves to increase awareness and carry out important research in Ireland into new treatments for cancers affecting men. It also gives people the opportunity to do something special on Father’s Day with those loved and in memory of those lost.”
Irish golf professional and 2009 Irish Open Champion Shane Lowry, who tee'd off for cancer research said “Some of my earliest memories are with my dad watching and playing sport. He has always been there for me and has helped me become who I am today. That’s why I am very happy to support a great cause like ‘Drive for Dads’ for Breakthrough Cancer Research, which focuses on increasing awareness and carrying out research into cancers effecting men. Wishing you all a very happy and healthy Father’s Day!"
Go on, help bring this campaign to your golf club in June 2013 and raise vital funds for Cancer Research!
Check list below for list of participating golf courses in 2012:
- Abbeyleix Golf Club, Rathmoyle, Abbeyleix, Co.Laois. 057 8731450. W. Abbeyleix Golf Club
- Adare Manor Golf Club, Adare, Co. Limerick. 061 396204. W: Adare Manor
- Ashford Castle Golf Club, Cong, Co. Mayo. 094 954 6003. W: Ashford Castle
- Ballykisteen Golf Club, Limerick Junction, Co. Tipperary. 062 32117. W: Ballykisteen Golf Club
- Bantry Bay Golf Club, Bantry, Co. Cork. 027 50579. W: Bantry Bay Golf Club
- Callan Golf Club, Geraldine, Callan, Co. Kilkenny. 056 7725136. W: Callan Golf Club
- Carton House Golf Club, Carton House, Maynooth, Co. Kildare. 01 5052000. W: Carton House
- Castlemartyr Resort, Castlemartyr, Co. Cork. 021 4219001. W: Castlemartyr Resort
- Castletroy Golf Club, Golf Links Road, Castletroy, Co. Limerick. 061 335753. W: Castletroy Golf Club
- Cobh Golf Club, Cobh, Co. Cork. 021 4812399. W: Cobh Golf Club
- Connemarra Golf Links, Ballyconneely, Co. Galway. 095 23502. W: Connemara Golf Links
- Dromoland Castle Golf & Country Club, New Market on Fergus, Co Clare. 061 368144. W: Dromoland Castle
- Druids Glen Resort, Woodstock House, Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow. 01 2870800. W: Druids Glen
- Enniscrone Golf Club, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo. 096 36297. W: Enniscrone Golf Club
- Fernhill Golf & Country Club, Carrigaline, Co. Cork. 021 4372226. W: Fernhill Country Club
- Fota Island Golf Club, Fota Island Resort, Co. Cork. 021 4883700. W: Fota Island Resort
- Glengarriff Golf Club, Droumgarriff, Glengarriff, Co. Cork. 027 63150. W: Glengarriff Golf Club
- Greenore Golf Club, Greenore, Co. Louth. 042 9373212. W: Greenore Golf Club
- The Island Golf Club, Corballis, Donabate, Co. Dublin. 01 8436205. W: The Island Golf Club
- Kanturk Golf Club, Fairyhill, Kanturk, Co. Cork. 029 50534. W: Kanturk Golf Club
- Killerig Golf Club, Killerig Resort, Killerig, Co. Carlow. 059 9163000. W: Killerig Golf Club
- Kilkenny Golf Club, Glendine, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny. 056 7765400. W: Kilkenny Golf Club
- Lahinch Golf Club, Lahinch, Co. Clare. 065 7081003. W: Lahinch Golf Club
- Lee Valley Golf Club, Ovens, Co. Cork. 021 7331721. W: Lee Valley Golf Club
- Lisselan Golf Club, Lisselan Estate, Clonakilty, Co. Cork. 023 8833249 W: Lisselan Golf Club
- Macroom Golf Club, Macroom, Co. Cork. 026 41072. W: Macroom Golf Club
- Monkstown Golf Club, Monkstown, Cork. 021 4841376. W: Monkstown Golf Club
- Malahide Golf Club, Beechwood, The Grange, Malahide, Co. Dublin. 01 8461611. W: Malahide Golf Club
- Mitchelstown Golf Club, Gurrane, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork. 025 24072. W: Mitchelstown Golf Club
- Mount Bellew Golf Club, Mount Bellew, Co. Galway. 09096 79259. W: Mount Bellew Golf Club
- Mountrath Golf Club, Knockanina, Mountrath, Co. Laois. 057 8732558. W: Mountrath Golf Club
- Nenagh Golf Club, Beechwood, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. 067 31476. W: Nenagh Golf Club
- Newbridge Golf Club, Barrettstown, Newbridge, Co. Kildare. 045 486110. W: Newbridge Golf Club
- New Ross Golf Club, Tinneranny, New Ross, Co. Wexford. 051 421433. W: New Ross Golf Club
- Portmarnock Links Golf Course, Strand Road, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin. 01 8461800. W: Portmarnock Links
- Rathbane Golf Club, Crossagalla, Co. Limerick. 061 313655. W: Rathbane Golf Club
- Rosslare Golf Club, Rosslare, Co. Wexford. 053 9132203. W: Rosslare Golf Club
- The Royal Dublin Golf Club, North Bull Island Nature Reserve, Dollymount, Dublin 3. 01 8336346. W: The Royal Dublin
- Skibbereen Golf Club, Licknavar, Skibbereen, Co. Cork. 028 21227. W: Skibbereen Golf Club
- Waterford Castle Golf Club, The Island, Co. Waterford. 051 871633. W: Waterford Castle Golf Club
- Waterville Golf Club, Waterville, Co. Kerry. 066 9474102 W: Waterville Golf Club
- Wexford Golf Club, Mulgannon, Wexford. 053 9142238. W: Wexford Golf Club